Security Studies, Regional Studies-Areas of Expertise
Sukeyuki ICHIMASA (Senior Fellow, Policy Studies Department, Defense Policy Division)
|2000||B.A. in Liberal Arts, International Christian University|
|2002||M.A. in International Public Policy, Osaka University
Special Advisor, Permanent Mission of Japan to the International Organizations in Vienna
|2004||COE Research Assistant, International Christian University|
|2005||Research Fellow, Center for the Promotion of Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, Japan Institute of International Affairs(JIIA)|
|2007||Ph.D. in International Public Policy, Osaka University
Adjunct Lecturer, Ryotokuji University
|2010||Research Fellow, the National Institute for Defense Studies(NIDS)
Adjunct Lecturer, Otsuma Women’s University
|2012||Senior Fellow, Policy Studies Department, Defense Policy Division, NIDS
Assistant Director of International Exchange Programme
Areas of Expertise
Arms Control, Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, Security Studies
- "Economic Sanctions and Development of Nuclear Weapons," NIDS Security Studies, Vol.19, No.2, March 2016, pp.27-47.
- "Threat of Cascading "Permanent Blackout" Effects and High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse(HEMP)," NIDS Security Studies, Vol.18, No.2, February 2016, pp.1-21.
- "Chapter 8 CBRN Defense: Responding to Growing Threats," in the National Institute for Defense Studies, ed., East Asian Strategic Review 2015, The Japan Times, 2015, pp.293-315.(*Co-authored)
- "The Concept of Virtual Nuclear Arsenals and a World without Nuclear Weapons", NIDS Journal of Defense and Security, No.13, December 2012, pp. 23-37.
- “Assessing the 2010 NPT Review Conference and a Vision towards “a World Free of Nuclear Weapons”.” NIDS Briefing Memo, 2010, pp.27-31.
- “Japan’s Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation Policy: Multilateral Approaches, Regional Efforts and Region-to-Region Cooperation.” in Takako Ueta and Eric Remacle eds. Tokyo-Brussels Partnership: Security, Development and Knowledge-based Society, Bruxelles: Peter Lang Publishing Group, 2008, pp.203-218.
- “Early Entry into Force of CTBT for Future NPT Regime: Challenge for Renovation of Verification in the Post DPRK Nuclear Test 2006.” CPDNP Op-Ed Working Paper, 2007, pp.1-7.
- “Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) On-Site Inspection Regime.” Doctoral Thesis, Osaka University, 2007.
- “CTBT On-Site Inspection: Protection of Confidentiality and Information Relevancy.” CPDNP Working Paper, 2006, pp.1-13.
- "Tactical Nuclear Weapons: Next Challenges of Nuclear Arms Control and Disarmament," The Journal of International Security, Vol.40, No.4, March 2013, pp.71-85.
- “Negotiating Arms Control, Disarmament and Non-Proliferation and the UN System: An Essay on Structural Collision between Haves and Have-nots of the Nuclear Weapons.” Kokuren Kenkyu [United Nations Studies], No.10, 2009, pp.155-174. (English abstract attached)
- “Norm Building by the UN Security Council: UNSCR 1540 and Governance of WMD Non-Proliferation.” International Relations, No.155, 2009, pp.61-75. (English abstract attached)
- Kakujikken no kinsi to kensyo [Prohibition and Verification of Nuclear Test Explosion].”in Masahiko Asada and Hirofumi Tosaki eds. Kakugunsyuku Fukakusan no Hou to Seiji [Law and Politics of Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation], Tokyo: Shinzansya, 2008, pp.223-245.
- “Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) On-Site Inspection Regime.” Doctoral Thesis, Osaka University, 2007, pp.1-146.
- “Coordinated Multilateral Action against the Threat of WMD Proliferation: A Universal Non-Proliferation Regime and European Union.” International Christian University Journal of Social Science, No.54, 2005, pp. 73-98. (English abstract attached)
- “SHIRBRIG: The Touchstone of UN Stand-by Force.” Gaimusyo Tyousa Geppou, No.3, 2002, pp.79-117. (English abstract attached)
Conference Papers, etc
- “Reevaluating Threats of High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP): A New Challenge to the Recent Arguments on Humanitarian Impact of Nuclear Weapons,” paper presented at the JAIR Annual Convention Sectional Meeting B-5 International Security I (Sendai, October 30, 2015, Japanese.)
- “"A Framework for Verifying the Dismantlement and Abandonment of Nuclear Weapons: A Policy Implication for the Denuclearization of Korean Peninsula." Paper presented at the 32th Annual Meeting of INMM Japan (Tokyo, 11 November 2011, Japanese.)
- “Prevention of Nuclear Proliferation and New Nuclear Danger.” Paper presented at the International Nuclear Security Seminar organized by the Korea National Defense University (Seoul, 22 June 2011.)
- “A New Perspective on Building the International Norm for the Nuclear Free World.” Paper presented at the Peace Studies Association, Autumn Conference (Kyoto, 29 November 2009, Japanese.)
- “Nuclear Sharing under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Regime: NATO’s Experience and Its Implications.” Paper presented at the Japan Association of International Relations Annual Convention on (Kobe, 6 November 2009, Japanese.)
- “Strengthening of Capacity Building for the Future On-Site Inspection Readiness: How to Apply Lessons Identified through the Post-Integrated Field Exercise (IFE) Review Processes?” Paper presented at the 16th CTBTO On-Site Inspection Workshop (Wien, 6 May 2009, English.)
- “Significance of NTM Verification in the Executive Organ Established for the Disarmament and Non-Proliferation Treaties.” paper presented at the 28th Annual Meeting of INMM Japan (Tokyo, 8 November 2007, Japanese. *Co-authored.)
- “Japan and the International Efforts on Non-Proliferation.” Paper presented at the international conference on “EU and Japan: the Emerging Challenges for the Middle of the Decade 2000-2010.” (Brussels, 28 November 2006, English.)
- “How to Protect the OSI Confidential Information.” Paper presented at the 11th CTBTO On-Site Inspection Workshop, (Canberra, 14 October 2005, English.)