Security Studies,Regional Studies-Areas of Expertise
Koichi Arie (Lieutenant Colonel, Government and Law Division, Security Studies Department)
|1984||National Defense Academy (NDA)|
|2001||Graduate School of Security Studies, NDA (M.A. from NIAD-UE)|
|2011||Ph.D in Security Studies, Takushoku University|
Areas of Expertise
LTC Arie joined Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) in 1984. While having served as unit commander and staff throughout Japan, he earned a M.A. from National Institution for Academic Degrees and University Education (NIAD-UE) and a Ph.D from Takushoku University. He served in southern Iraq in 2004 as part of the 1st Iraq Reconstruction Support Unit, for which he was embedded as JGSDF liaison officer in the headquarters of Multinational Division South East (MND-SE, Basrah).
His area of expertise is nuclear strategy and nuclear deterrence. Since 2012 he has been a part-time lecturer of Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies, Takushoku University where he teaches U.S. nuclear strategy based on his research interest.
- “Complex Deterrence Theory and the Post-Cold War Security Environment,” NIDS Journal of Defense and Security, No. 17, December 2016, pp. 21-39.
- 'Disaster relief provided by U.S. forces,' in Colonel Nozomu Yoshitomi et al., "Military-public-private cooperation in disaster relief: Lessons learned from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake," Liaison, Vol. V, 2012, pp. 27-28.
- “Hikaku Heiki Gijutsu no kaihatsu to Yokushi tono kankei: Goku Chou Onsoku Heiki wo chushin ni [The Development of Non-nuclear Weapons Technology and its Relevance to Deterrence: Centering on Hypersonic Weapons],” Boei Kenkyusho Kiyo [NIDS Journal of Defense and Security], Vol. 19, No. 1, December 2016, pp. 23-43.
- “Kakudai Yokushi kara mita Nichibei Doumei [Japan-U.S. Alliance from the Perspective of Extended Deterrence],” Kaigai Jijo [Journal of World Affairs], Vol. 62, No. 7･8, July/August 2014, pp. 52-66.
- "Amerika no tai Nishi Doitsu Kakudai Yokushi to Kaku Koso Kyoyu [Nuclear Sharing in West Germany and US Extended Deterrence]," Kaigai Jijo [Journal of World Affairs], Vol. 57, No. 10, October 2009, pp. 83-101.
- "Jiseisuru Amerika: Toruman Seiken no Sengo Kaku Seisaku [American Restraint: The Postwar Nuclear Policies of the Truman Administration]," Kokusai Anzenhosyo [The Journal of International Security], Vol. 33, No. 2, September 2005, pp. 87-108.