Security Studies,Regional Studies-Areas of Expertise
ONO Keishi(Chief, Society and Economy Division, Security Studies Department)
|1988||BA in Economics, Kyoto University|
|1997||MA in Economics, Aoyama Gakuin University (Part-time)|
|2000||MSc in Development Economics, University of London (SOAS)|
Areas of Expertise
Defense/Military Economics; Conflict, Security and Development
- “Prospect of Demographic Trend, Economic Hegemony and Security: From the mid-21st to 22nd Century,” NIDS Briefing Memo (May, 2016).
- "The Trend of the Private Military & Security Companies (PMSCs): Terrorist Threat and the Economic Point of View," NIDS Briefing Memo (December, 2015).
- "Recent Trend of Naval Vessel Medical Equipment Improvements," NIDS Briefing Memo, no.187 (May, 2014).
- "Piracy off the Coast of The Somali and Indian Ocean, and Anti-Piracy Operation by Private Military and Security Companies (PMSCs)," NIDS Briefing Memo, no.175 (April, 2013).
- "Civil-military medical assistance cooperation after the Great East Japan Earthquake: Experiences and lessons," The Liaison, vol.5 (Center of Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance, October, 2012).
- "Cooperation between the Self-Defense Force (SDF) and Civil-sector Medical Institutions: Lessons from the Great East Japan Earthquake," NIDS Briefing Memo, no.167 (July, 2012).
- "The State of the Child Soldier Problem and Related Issues," NIDS Briefing Memo, no.153 (April, 2011).
- “The New Trend of the Regulation and Administration of Private Military and Security Companies (PMSCs): Toward the Establishment of a ‘Global Code of Conduct’ ,” NIDS Briefing Memo, no.145 (July, 2010).
- “The Relationship between the Financial Crisis and Security/Military Issues,” NIDS Briefing Memo, no.135 (August & September, 2009).
- “Japan Self-Defense Forces and their Reconstruction Support Operations in Iraq” The Liaison vol.4 no.1 (Center of Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance, July 2008).
- "Post-Conflict Reconstruction and the Private Security Company (PSC)," NIDS Briefing Memo, no.122 (June, 2008).
- “Armed Force’s Contribution to Peace Support Operations (PSOs): Debates over ’Oil-spot Strategy’,” NIDS Briefing Memo, no.111 (May, 2007).
- "The Siberian Intervention and Japanese Society" Oliviero Frattolillo and Antony Best eds., Japan and the Great War (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- "Total War from the Economic Perspective," NIDS ed., The Pacific War as Total War: NIDS International Forum on War History: Proceedings (March, 2012)
- “The War, Military Expenditures and Postbellum Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Japan” Kowner, Rotem ed. Rethinking the Russo-Japanese War 1904-5, vol.1 (Folkestone: Global Oriental, 2007).
- “Japan’s Monetary Mobilization for War” Wolff, David, et al ed. The Russo-Japanese War Global Perspective, vol. 2 (Leiden: Brill, 2007).
- “Japan’s Financial Power Mobilising for Military Build-up towards the Russo-Japanese War,” Moroccan Commission of Military History ed., ACTA, 30th International Congress of Military History: The Economic Aspects of Defence through Major World Conflicts, (Rabat: Moroccan Commission of Military History, 2005).
- "The Food Problem and Security," NIDS ed. East Asian Strategic Review 2009 (Tokyo: Japan Times Ltd., 2009).
- “Economic Impact of the 9.11 Terrorist Attack,” NIDS ed., East Asian Strategic Review 2002 (Tokyo: Japan Times Ltd., 2002).
- “The Asian Currency Crisis and Japan,” NIDS ed., East Asian Strategic Review 1998-1999 (Tokyo: Japan Times Ltd., 1999).
- "Funso fairon: Shonenhei mondai no kanten kara [Arms conflict overview: Child Soldiers]," Medemiru WHO [Journal of WHO Association, Japan], no.56 (January, 2015).
- "Byoinsen kara Tamokuteki Kanteie: Rekishiteki Kousatsu to Kongo no Tenbou [From Hospital Ships to Multipurpose Military Vessels: Historical and Future Perspectives]," The Journal of Military History, vol.49, no.3 (December, 2013).
- "Minkan Gunjikaisya niyoru Kaizoku Taisyo: Sono Kanousei to Kadai [Anti-PiracyServices by Private Military and Security Companies (PMSCs): Its Potential and Problems]," The Journal of International Security, vol.40, no.3 (December, 2012).
- "Minkan Gunjikaisya no Kanri Kisei ni Kansuru Saikin no Doko [Recent Trend of regulating Private Military and Security Companies]," The Journal of Ground Warfare, vol.58, no.684 (September, 2010).
- "Kodomo heishi mondai no kaiketsu ni mukete: Gorisei haijyo ni muketa kento to kongo no kadai: Resolving the Child Soldier Issue: A Review to Eliminate its Rationality and Problems to be Solved]," NIDS Security Studies, vol.12, no.1 (December, 2009).
- "Minkan Gunjikaisya no Jittai to Houtekichii: Jikkousei no aru Kisei Kantokukyouka ni Mukete [Actual and Legal Status of Private Security and Military Companies: Toward an effective regulation and monitoring] International Affairs, no.587 (December, 2009).
- “Tero Yobosyudan toshite no Seifu Kaihatsu Enjyo [Official Development Assistance as a Tool for Preventing Terrorism],” NIDS Security Studies, vol.10, no.3 (March, 2008).
- “Beigun Kindaika to Sakusen Keihi Sakugenkoka: 03-nen Iraku ni Taisuru Gunjisakusen no Kosatsu [U.S. Military Modernization and its effect on the Operational Cost Reduction: Analysis on Operation Iraqi Freedom ‘’03] NIDS Briefing Memo, no.98 (March, 2006).
- "Gunji Kodo ni Kakawaru Keihi Bunseki: 2003nen Iraku ni taisuru Gunjisakusen no Senpi ni tsuite [Cost Analysis of the U.S. Military Operations in Iraq]," NIDS Security Studies, vol.8, no.2 (February, 2006).
- "ASEAN Syokoku no Kokuboushisyutsu Ketteiyouin [Determinants of Defense Expenditure of ASEAN Countries]," Journal of World Affairs, vol.47, no.9 (September, 1999).
- "Kinyu Kiki to Anzenhosyo: Chunanbei Ruiseki Saimukiki to Asia Tsukakiki no Hikakubunseki no Kokoromi [Financial Crisis and Security Affairs: Analysis Trial for Comparison between Accumulated Debt Crisis of Latin America and Asian Currency Crisis]," NIDS Security Studies, vol.1, no.2 (December, 1998).
- "Reisen Syuryo to ASEAN no Heikishijyo [The End of the Cold War and the ASEAN Arms Market: A Statistic Analysis of Arms Transfers to ASEAN]," The Journal of National Defense, vol.26, no.1 (June, 1998).
- “Seinan Senso no Senpi Chotatsu seisaku Saiko [The Meiji Government’s Policy to Finance the Civil Conflict with the Satsuma Rebels Reconsidered: A Comparison with the American Civil War]” The Journal of Military History, vol.52, no.3 (December, 2016).
- “Revisitation of Political Power Establishment and Junior Officers Dominate in the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) during the 1930s: The Consequence of IJA officers as ‘Knowledge workers’” The Journal of Strategic Studies, no.19 (October, 2016).
- "Soyokusen to Tsuka Kiyu seisaku [The Total War and Monetary & Financial Policy of the Two World Wars] The Journal of Military History, vol.51, no.3 (December, 2015).
- "Daiichiji Sekai Taisen ga wagakuni no Senso Keizaishiso ni ataeta eikyo: Nakayama Ichiro no shiso wo chushin ni [The Influence of the First World War on Japan's Wartime Economic Thought: The Case of Nakayama Ichiro]," The Journal of Military History, vol.50, no.3&4 (March, 2015).
- "Daiichiji Taisen Shiveria Shuppei no Senpi to Taishoki no Gunji Shishutsu: Kokusaihikaku to Macurokeizai no Shiten karano Kousatsu [The Rise and Fall of Japan's Military Expenses in the Taisho Period: World War, Siberian Expedition and Arms Buildiup]," NIDS Military History Studies Annual, no.17(March, 2014).
- "Senpiwo Meguru Kobo: Kinyu Shijyo deno Shori [Japan's Struggle in the Financial Market: Another Victory of the Russo Japanese War]," Eurasian Studies, no.49 (November, 2013).
- "Soryokusen ni muketa Nihon no Keizairyoku doin: Kokuminsyotoku to Gunjishisyutsu no kanten kara [Japanese effort to mobilize its economic power towards the total warfare: From the perspective of National Income and Military Expenditure], Miyake Masaki et al. eds., Soryokusen no Jidai: Taiheiyo Senso to sono senryaku [The Age of the Total Warfare: The Pacific War and Strategy] (Tokyo: Chuokoron-shinsha, 2013).
- "Hachi-hachi Kantaikeikaku to Taishoki no Zaiseiseisaku: Washintonkaigi mae no Kenkankyoso no Jizokukanousei [The 8-8 Fleet Plan and the Financial Policy during the Taisho Era: The Possibility to Continue the Struggle for Naval Build-up before the Washington Conference]," The Journal of Military History, vol.48, no.2 (September, 2012)
- "Zendokyuu toshiteno Fuji-gata Senkan: Gijyutsumen deno Kokusaihikaku no Kanten kara [A Study of the "Fuji-Type" Pre-Dreadnought Battleships: International Comparison of Technology]", The Journal of Military History, vol.46, no.4 (March, 2011).
- “Meiji Makki no Gunjishisyuts to Zaisei Kinyu: Senji Sengo Zaisei to Tenikoka no Kosatsu [Military Expenditures and Fiscal and Monetary Policy in the end of Meiji Period: A Discussion on Displacement Effect in Japan],” NIDS Military History Studies Annual, no.11 (March, 2008).
- "Roku Roku Kaintai Koso no Keizaiteki Bunseki [Economic Analysis of Japanese Fleet Building before the Russo-Japanese War]," The Journal of Strategic Studies, no.3 (December, 2005).
- "Nichiro Senso no Senpi to Zaisei Kinyu Seisaku [Japan’s Financial and Monetary Policy to Finance the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905)]," New Perspectives for the Research on the Russo-Japanese War (Yokohama: Seibun-sya, 2005).
- "Nisshin Sengo Keieiki no Gunjishisyutsu to Zaiseiseisaku [Japan’s Financial Power Mobilisation for Arms Build-up towards the Russo-Japanese War]," The Journal of Military History vol.40, no.2&3 (December, 2004).
- "Kokusai Keizai: Keizaiseisaku to Haken no Hensen [International Economy: Economic Policy and the Transition of Economic Hegemony]," Fundamental Politics(Tokyo: Hokuju Syuppan, 2010).