Security Studies,Regional Studies-Areas of Expertise
Eiichi Katahara (Director, International Exchange and Libraries)
katahara-e @ nids.go.jp
|1983||B.A. in Economics, Keio University|
|1985||M.A. in International Relations, Australian National University, Australia|
|1991||PhD in Asian and International Studies, Griffith University, Australia|
Areas of Expertise
Japan’s foreign and security policy, US-Japan security relations, US defense policy, Australia-Japan relations, Security issues in East Asia and the Pacific
- "Japan's Strategic Options?", in Purnendra Jain and Lam Peng Er (eds), Japan's Strategic Challenges: China's Rise, the US Hegemonic Decline and Asian Security (Singapore: World Scientific Publisher, forthcoming).
- "Japan-Australia Joint Security Statements and The Trilateral Strategic Dialogue: a Japanese perspective," in William Tow & Rikki Kersten (eds.) Bilateral Perspectives on Regional Security: Australia, Japan and the Asia-Pacific Region (Melbourne: Palgrave-Macmillan, forthcoming).
- (co-authored with Katsuya Tsukamoto) Chapter on the USA in East Asian Strategic Review 2009 (Tokyo: The Japan Times, 2009) ( also in 2010).
- Chapter on the USA in East Asian Strategic Review 2006 (Tokyo: The Japan Times, 2006)
- "Japan and a New International Order: A Case for an East Asian Community," in Purnendra Jain, Felix Patrikeeff and Gerry Groot (eds.) Asia-Pacific and a New International Order: Responses and Options (New York: Nova Science Publishers).
- Chapter on Japan, in Charles Morrison (ed.) Asia Pacific Security Outlook 2004 (Tokyo & New York: Japan Center for International Exchange, ASEAN-ISIS, & East-West Center) (also in 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 eds.)
- "Japan as a civilian peacekeeper," in Lorraine Elliott & Graeme Cheeseman (eds.) Forces for good: Cosmopolitan militaries in the twenty-first century (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2004)
- "From Containment to Normalization," in Muthiah Alagappa (ed.) Coercion and Governance (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2001)
- "Japan’s Concept of Comprehensive Security in the Post-Cold War World," in Susan Shirk & Christopher P. Twomey (eds.) Power and Prosperity: Economics and Security Linkages in Asia-Pacific (New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers, Rutgers University, 1996)
- "Japan’s Plutonium Policy: Consequences for Nonproliferation," The Nonproliferation Review, Vol. 5, No. 1 (Fall), 1997.
- Japan’s Changing Political and Security Role, Pacific Strategic Papers (Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 1991)
- "Beikoku no tai-afurika senryaku – gurobaru na anzenhosho no shitenkara [US Strategy for Africa : a global perspective]," Bouei kenkyujo kiyou, Vol. 12, No. 2/3 (May 2010)
- "Begou doumeikankei no doukou to kongono kadai [US-Australia Relations and Challenges for the Future]," Bouei kenkyujo kiyou, Vol. 11, No. 3 (March 2009)
- A chapter on the USA in Higashi ajia senryaku gaikan 2006 [East Asian Strategic Review 2006] (Tokyo: The National Institute for Defense Studies, 2006)
- "Beichukankei to higashi ajia no anzenhosho [US-China Relations and East Asian Security]", Shin Boei Ronshu (The Journal of National Defense), vol.28, no.1 (2000)
- "Nihon no purutoniumu seisaku to kakufukakusan mondai [Japan’s Plutonium Policy and Nuclear Nonproliferation]" in Masashi Nishihara (ed.) Nihon no gaiko·anzenhosho seisaku opushon [Japan’s Foreign and Security Options] (Tokyo: Japan Center for International Exchange, 1998)