About the Temporary Opening of the Military Archives Reading Room (on Saturdays)
From February of 2019, Military Archives, Center for Military History, NIDS will be open on Saturdays. This is with the aim of allowing more people to make active use of this facility. However, users will be required to apply for access to the room in advance (this is not required on weekdays). Please see below for more information on applying.
Military Archives Reading Room Saturday Opening Schedule
Military Archives Reading Room Saturday Opening Schedule:
- March 11 (Sat.), April 8 (Sat.)
- (Closing Schedule: March 13 (Mon.), April 10 (Mon.))
Please also check the Open Day Calendar.
Using the Reading Room
9:00 - 16:30 (last entry is 16:00)
2.Entry to the Reading Room on Saturdays (When Open)
Visitors are asked to enter and exit via the Kaga gate. Entry and exit through the Kaga gate is only possible at the following times:
|Morning:||9:00 - 9:15, 10:00 - 10:15, 11:00 - 11:15|
|Afternoon:||12:00 - 12:15, 13:00 - 13:15, 13:45 - 14:00
14:45 - 15:00, 15:45 - 16:00
16:30 - 16:45 (exit only)
- * Visitors are required to present photo identification when entering.
- * The gate itself will be closed, so please speak to the staff to enter/exit.
- * Please be aware that there is no car park or dining facilities.
3.How to Apply for Entry to the Reading Room on Saturdays (When Open)
Please apply by 13:00 on the Thursday prior to the Saturday that the Reading Room will be open. (For example, if the day you wish to use the room is Saturday, February 1, 2020, applications need to be received by 13:00 on Thursday, January 30).
- If applying by e-mail: Please fill in all required items on the Saturday Reading Room Usage Application Form then e-mail it to the Reading Room reception desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If applying by fax: Please fill in all required items on the Saturday Reading Room Usage Application Form or fill in the required items on the Saturday Reading Room Usage Application Form below, then fax it to the Reading Room reception desk (03-3260-3053).
- If applying by phone (verbally): Use the required items on the Saturday Reading Room Usage Application Form below as a reference, then phone the Reading Room directly (direct line: 03-3260-7102).
- If you will apply in person, please fill in the required items on the Saturday Reading Room Usage Application Form below, then hand it directly to reception staff.
All of the above methods must be performed in advance.
To find the record number/historical document name of the items you wish to see, please check the Opened Historical Records Index List, Library & Historical Records Search System, or check the Japan Center for Asian Historical Records.
*Required items for applying to use the reading room:
- For procedural reasons, you may be declined entry if you have not filled in all required items.
- If you have not provided details about the materials you wish to see, they may not be available.
● Company name and profession (required)
● Name (required)
● Address (required)
● Phone number (required)
● Desired entry date and entry/exit time (required)
1. 9:00 - 09:15
2. 10:00 - 10:15
3. 11:00 - 11:15
4. 12:00 - 12:15
5. 13:00 - 13:15
6. 13:45 - 14:00
7. 14:45 - 15:00
8. 15:45 - 16:00
9. 16:30 - 16:45 (exit only)
Example: February 1, Entry Time: 1 Exit Time: 8
● The record number and historical document name
(If you used the Japan Center for Asian Historical Records, please provide the reference code and title
"Komabanotenrenki Okamoto Katsujirou Hissha (Showa 29.3.14)"
(Komabanotenrenki Katsujiro Okamoto Writings (March 14, 1954))
- (4) Kansen/Rikujoubutai-Sento Shouhou Senji Nisshi-38
(Warship/Land Unit-Battle Report Wartime Journal-38)
"Showa 17.6.1 - 17.6.30 Midway Kaisen Senji Nisshi Sento Shouhou"
(June 1, 1942 - June 30, 1942 Battle of Midway Wartime Diary Battle Report)
Example: Using Japan Center for Asian Historical Records
"Senji Daihonei Jourei Sakutei no Ken"
(Wartime Imperial Headquarters Formulation of Regulations)
"Hyoushi 'Showa 17 nen 5 gatsu 27 nichi - Showa 17 nen 6 gatsu 9 nichi Kidou Butai Dai 1 Koukuu Kantai Sento Shouhou Midway Sakusen'"
(Coverpage: 'May 27, 1942 - June 9, 1942: Mechanized Unit 1st Air Fleet, Report from Battle of Midway')
Using the Materials
- In general, the methods for viewing materials in the reading room are the same as on weekdays. (Reading Room)
- Usage of self-service photographing is the same as on weekdays. Commercially provided duplication requires the submission of an application form on the day. We will then contact you at a later date after the necessary arrangements have been made.